Save the Date!
~ July 2nd, 2013 ~
150th Aniversary Celebration!
The Day's Events ....
Special "150th" Concerts!
|Co-Founders: Roger & Laurie Harding
Tour of Hunterstown, by Carl Whitehill, Gettyburg Travel
Gettysburg "150th" Battlefield Series, by Edwin L. Green, Williamsburg
|James O Phelps 360* Panoramics
|2008 Hunterstown Monument Dedication
To View 360* Panoramics ...
In Memory of Those who Fought and
Died for Our Freedom.
Dead Shall Not Have Died in Vain."
~ President Lincoln ~
|RT 394 & Hunterstown Road
|New Custer Memorial, dedicated July 2, 2008
“The [Civil] war “proved Custer was simply the greatest cavalry tactician of the Union
Army, perhaps the greatest of either army North or South. The fame and rewards he gained were more than earned by not just
his boldness and courage but his military acuity.”
Living Historians ...
The Michigan Wolverines, Custer & Libby
North Cavalry Battlefield
"Too often, places that matter
to us can be lost in a heartbeat — sometimes even before we realize they will be missed.
The best way to save a place
that matters is to call attention to it and value it before it is endangered."
National Trust for Historic
|Unveiled by GBC&VB on 7/2/09
|Located at The Historic Tate Farm
Shown in picture:
Background ...Steve Alexander as Brigadier General George Armstrong
Custer, Michigan Wolverines, John Volhken, & Dan Dunn
Frank Meredith, GBC&VB's Norris Flowers, Authors, J D Petruzzi, Mike Nugent, & Steve Stanley,
Artist, Jared Frederick, GNP Ranger, Troy Harman
& Living Historians, Mrs. Julia Dent Grant with General Ulysses S. Grant, Lenwood Sloan & PA Museum's Living
A GREAT read!
Central Pennsylvania's Civil War Trails Article...
July 2, 1863
Known by historians
as "North Cavalry Field,"
Hunterstown was recently recognized by the
National Parks Service (Sept. '06)
as part of the Gettysburg Campaign.
Unfortunately, the site is extremely vulnerable
to development and is still
"And though Hunterstown is a new addition,
Lawhon said there is still work to do to help preserve the land within the boundaries of the Gettysburg National Military
.....Evening Sun quote
Another view of the battle ...
Will Hutchison's Thoughts ....
Hunterstown Blog Spot ...
Books on the Battle of Hunterstown...
|Click here to read more...
Michigan Cavalry & George Armstrong Custer
Did You Know...
Hunterstown, formerly called Woodstock,
is one of the oldest towns in the country.
It was settled in the mid 1700's by David Hunter,
a Revolutionary War soldier,
for whom the town
In fact, because
he had been training militia here in Hunterstown,
Lord Dunmore, Govenor of the colonies
in Williamsburg, put a bounty on David Hunter's head,
"dead or alive".... To this very day,
no one knows where David Hunter is buried.
"A major Alton (Illinois) developer,
Charles Hunter, was one of Alton's best known Underground Railroad conductors. His Hunterstown area, founded in the 1830's,
had many free Blacks as residents, some of whom were escaped slaves. He was also the only landowner who allowed Elijah Lovejoy
to live on his property. "
To read more...
No...Hunterstown has REAL
|National Trust's "This Place Matters"
|Members of Hunterstown Historical Society/Tate Farm
To View the Historic Village of Hunterstown...
|Mrs. Linda Cleveland
|HHS 2010 "Historian of the Year"
small but significantly Historical Village"
is located on Route 394 one mile east of the Hunterstown Exchange of Route U.S. 15 North of Gettysburg.
After the American Indians made their trade routes west of the Susquehanna River through
this area, immigrants started to settle along their trails. Many were Scotch-Irish. The Penn proprietors of the land through
this area, which is now Hunterstown, granted Michael Drumgold a warrant for 100 acres on June 8, 1749. In October the same
year surveyor Thomas Cookson laid out a total of 182 acres for Drumgold. It was on October 8, 1760 Michael and Margaret Drumgold
sold this land to David Hunter. On March 14, 1764 the Penn heirs awarded Hunter a patent deed for the 182 acres granting him
the full and complete title he desired to establish a village.
April 2, 1764 David Hunter gave William Galbreath a deed for the first lot "situate in the town of "Straban"
as it was called then. Later it was referred to as "Woodstock". As lots were sold, small log homes were built. Later
weather-board and brick dwellings appeared.
As the year 1800
was drawing nigh the village was appropriately named after its founder and called Hunterstown. A county seat was being sought
for the new county of Adams and Hunterstown vied for that status. It was centrally located as far as population in the county
and it was located on "The Great Road" from York to Pittsburgh by the way of "Black’s Gap". The
town of Gettysburg received the final honor as County Seat.
special landmark in Hunterstown is the Historic Tate Farm and Blacksmith Shop. In October 1794 President George Washington
had the occasion to stop here. Because of the taxation put on liquor, many in western Pennsylvania were rebelling and decided
they were not going to abide by the law. President Washington called up troops from four states and he himself went by carriage
and horseback to review the troops, 15,000 strong, in Carlisle and Bedford and planned how they were to quell what was called
the Whiskey Rebellion. This was accomplished without any major fight. On returning to Philadelphia, the capitol at that time,
a horse in the President’s party threw a shoe and they stopped in Hunterstown at the Tate Farm blacksmith shop near
Beaver Dam Creek to have it shod.
Just fields away from
the Tate Farm is the Felty and Gilbert Farms where Brigadier General George Armstrong Custer’s Cavalry under the direction
of Brigadier General Hugh Judson Kilpatrick met in battle with General Wade Hampton’s Division of J.E.B. Stuart’s
Cavalry on July 2, 1863. This battle, now referred to as North Cavalry Field, is viewed as having a significant bearing on
the remainder of the Battle of Gettysburg. Here Brigadier General George Armstrong Custer set a "trap" for the enemy
in which he narrowly escaped losing his own life. Kilpatrick reported 32 dead and wounded of his division of some 3,500. The
confederates suffered around 100 casualties in the fighting of 2,000 involved.
In the center of Hunterstown is the Grass Hotel built before the Civil War. The hotel served as temporary
Union headquarters for Brig. General Judson Kilpatrick during the battle of Hunterstown and afterwards served as a hospital
for the north and south. A number of officers died here.
Great Conewago Presbyterian Church was organized in 1740. They met in a log structure until a fieldstone church was built
in 1787. It is still in use today. It also served as a hospital during the Civil War. The adjacent cemetery contains gravesites
of Revolutionary War soldiers and Civil War veterans along with generations of local inhabitants.
In 1885 the Galloway Brothers opened a copper mine just north of the village. After several
years it closed and the township used the copper/gold bearing rock for the streets and roads. So they claimed "the roads
were paved in gold." The mine was opened once again by the Reliance Mining and Milling Company of Arizona in 1905. Although
it was not hugely successful it employed 20 local men working "around the clock." The mine was abandoned in 1916.
the 19th and 20th century the village had a two-room country school and a Methodist Church on the main
street, both are still existing but not used today.
the early inhabitants of the village were a doctor, undertaker, watchmaker, shoemaker, carpenter, tailor, and wagon maker.
During the 1830’s John C. Studebaker, a blacksmith, and his skilled employees built conestoga-type wagons in a shop
between Hunterstown and Heidlersburg. He ventured to Ohio and then to South Bend Indiana to have the largest company for manufacturing
wagons and carriages and later through his descendants the Studebaker automobile.
Over the years Hunterstown had many small country stores, a post office, creamery, fruit-packing house, millinery
shop, gun club and horse race track. As many as ten families made chairs as early as 1830’s into the early 1900’s.
It once had a military guard unit and a baseball team. The village currently has two churches, a dog kennel and grooming establishment,
a horse-boarding farm with lesson programs, a childcare center, a tea room, go-cart track, car body shop, transmission shop,
and vintage car shop.
Hunterstown, population 100, a village
rich in history where the desire of its people is to restore and preserve what it now has to share with others. Here you can’t
help but feel the heart beat of the past and imagine those who walked and rode these once dusty roads. You may hear the distant
toll of the school bell, the happy sounds of children at play or music from the old church pump organ. You may hear the hoof
beats of the cavalry approaching or the sound of the artillery that echoed over the village. Memories linger of the mournful
groans of the injured and dying in the fields and makeshift hospitals and the prayers of the faithful as they gave their last
full measure here.Hunterstown, Pennsylvania – A quaint little village with
A story to tell!
Linda K. Cleveland
Historian – Hunterstown Historical Society
Revised - 2009
To Contact Mrs. Cleveland...
To Read More!
North Cavalry Battlefield Giclees...
|The Felty Farm/ North Cavalry Battlefield
|by Edwin L. Green, Williamsburg, VA.
Edwin L. Green, Artist to Colonial Williamsburg, 150th Commerative Paintings of the Gettysburg Battlefield ... To View, Click
Local and National Contacts...
Civil War Preservation Trust
Also, Jim Campi, CWPT
Senator Robert P. Casey
Congressman Todd Platts
Senator Rich Alloway
Email Dan Moul